Like many of the property invasive species in UK, silverfish are the cheeky guests you don’t want to find in your property. These tiny crawlers are harmless to people and yet can make your home unhygienic.
They prefer damp and dark places, and their diet includes book bindings, paper, photos, carpets, sugar, coffee, paint, glue and more.
Silverfish infestations are hard to notice until the situation becomes uncontrollable. We provide efficient and high-quality silverfish treatment for domestic and business clients in London that will help you get rid of silverfish quick and efficiently.
- Silverfish elimination is carried out in accordance with COSHH (Control of Substance Hazardous to Health) regulations.
- You can arrange a same-day or an emergency visit for silverfish removal. We are available anywhere in London, 7 days a week, including weekends, evenings and bank holidays.
- We can come with a discrete non-branded van so nobody will know you have a pest problem.
- You can opt for a FULL silverfish eradication. Upon request, you can get 2 free visits. The offer is valid for 3 months after the initial treatment.
- You can receive special discounts if you request more than one service for a single visit. For example, you can combine silverfish fumigation with dust mites treatment or spider treatment.
- Our customer support team are online 24/7 and will be able to give you more information or assist you with placing your booking.
How We Perform Pest Control for Silverfish Infestations
- Once you’ve scheduled and confirmed a visit, we will send a technician. The exterminator will thoroughly check your commercial or residential property in London to determine the level of silverfish infestation, sources and nesting grounds. This way he will be able to choose the most effective treatment.
- Silverfish extermination is usually done in a single visit. The products and equipment we use are of excellent quality and eradicate every single silverfish in your home or office in London.
- Once the treatment session is over, the silverfish exterminator will give you quality advice for silverfish prevention. Additionally, you need to let the insecticide work for 5 days before vacuum cleaning or wiping any surfaces in the treated area.
Facts About Silverfish You Should Know
Silverfish are wingless insects with bodies no longer than 2 cm. Their body shape allows them to run very fast.
Silverfish can live up to 8 years and create a huge offspring since they reproduce at a rapid speed. They can lay up to 20 eggs per day.
These insects have a taste for books, wallpaper, cotton, silk, cereal and vegetables. But they can live a year without any food.
When a silverfish nymph hatches it is all-white. That’s why many people think there are two types of silverfish.
Cinnamon is often confused with a natural silverfish removal substance. It cannot kill adult bugs and their eggs, it can only repel them before they’ve caused an infestation.
Silverfish are very hard to get rid of. They can thrive almost anywhere and can go without food for a year.
Click Here to Learn More About Silverfish
Kinds and Appearance
Species: Lepisma saccharina (L. saccharina)
What are silverfish and where do they come from?
This is one of the most common questions asked by our clients. This tiny pest is neither silver nor a fish. The only species cheeky enough to fearlessly roam human dwellings is the Ctenolepisma urbana. As you can see in the picture this little home infiltrator resembles a facehugger from the Alien movies. They can be rarely spotted outside human homes. They have very high-level surviving skills and endure almost anywhere they end up in.
Habits: These domestic aliens are active at night. When it comes to their size, adults reach 2.5 cm in length. Their bodies look silverish in colour and their legs vary from yellow to brown. Fortunately, silverfish can’t fly like other Apterygota bugs.
What Attracts Silverfish?
They find human homes quite appealing, cosy, giant 24-hour restaurant with their favourite meals. These little bugs have a taste for polysaccharides. These are the sugary carbohydrates found in various items around your home or office like:
- Sugar and starches
- Glue (the dextrin in adhesives), paint and plaster
- Hair, dandruff, cellulose, coffee
- Paper, photos, book bindings, linen, clothing, silk, carpet, dead insects, their own exuvia (their moulted exoskeleton)
- During famine, they might attack leather and synthetic textiles
Where Are Silverfish Commonly Found?
Spotting them isn’t easy, especially if you don’t know what the signs of silverfish infestation are. Here’s how to tell if you have a silverfish problem. Yet you might try two of the rooms in your property. Because of the types of food they prefer, you might find silverfish in the kitchen. They also like damp places, so you’ll be able to find silverfish in bathrooms.
Can Silverfish Harm Humans?
Silverfish are not dangerous to people, but can cause damages to your belongings. They enjoy munching on your favourite books or clothes.
They are not known to bite people or cause allergies, but bigger individuals can extremely scare you. Just imagine coming home in the evening, switching the lights on and seeing one on the wall above your bed.
Though silverfish might not cause health problems, they bring a lot of trouble. They have natural predators which happen to be common household pests like centipedes and earwigs. A silverfish infestation might also be what attracts spiders to your house.
Disinfection and Sanitation
Sanitation is now available to be combined with pest control treatment. Upon your request, we can send a team of cleaners to disinfect your property 5 days after the silverfish control. Your home will be cleaned of all traces the insects have left behind.Request a quote